Skip to main content

ADAPTING ENGLISH TEACHING MATERIALS FOR STUDENTS WITH SPECIFIC NEEDS

Teaching English might be quite challenging when dealing with learning difficulties. However, learning English or, at least becoming familiar with the language is key in a global world. We listen to music, watch films, search for information on the Internet, or travel around the world.

As teachers, we must keep in mind the support our students need, not only the ones with learning difficulties but also the group class to:

  • Provide help to all students.
  • Provide catch up options to the newcomers.
  • Adapt the syllabus to students with specific needs.

The key to adapt students’ materials is to know your students and do the arrangements depending on their needs, interests, and motivations. However, here are some ideas about how I adapt SPEAKING, LISTENING, READINGS, AND WRITINGS.

ADAPTING SPEAKING

I adapt speakings by:

  • Giving options orally so that the student can choose and speak
  • Providing sentence examples
  • Providing substitution tables with the structure to practice

ADAPTING LISTENING

I adapt listenings by:

  • Simplifying the questions
  • Giving options to choose from
  • Repeating the listening slowly

ADAPTING READINGS

I adapt readings by:

  • Shortening the texts
  • Choosing simpler words
  • Simplifying the questions
  • Using questions with options

ADAPTING WRITING AND GRAMMAR

I adapt writing by:

  1. Giving options
  2. Providing writing examples
  3. Giving word options

 When adapting teaching materials, we always have to keep in mind that we have to provide support to all our students.


Núria Parareda

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRADING IS BORING

Hello teacher, if you are reading this article it means every time you hear the word grading you try to run as far as you can scared of facing the endless and tedious task of writing the report cards of your students. However, you know (and I know it too) that the further we can go is our office laptop and finish the reports. If you are still reading is because you probably have that feeling that there is something more behind this final grading and you might ask yourself “How did my students got those marks?”, “Are they fair?”, “Do my students understand what they really mean?”. To sum up “WHY DO I LOVE ASSESSMENT ALTHOUGH I FIND GRADING A BORING TASK?” My key to find assessment so interesting is to ensure it to be part of my everyday lessons, not only as a way to collect information (to use it for boring grading) but also, and more important, to ensure my students become aware of what they are learning , why they are learning , where they are in the learning process , and what they n...

INCLUDING GENDER PERSPECTIVE IN CLASS

Last school year I planned to cover the contents about history with 10-12-year-old kids. Despite I find it rather fascinating as I studied humanities in my pre-college studies, I am aware the topic might not seem so captivating for students unless I made them feel involved in it.  As teachers, we are also responsible for ensuring our students will contribute to making a fairer world in many aspects. When regarding the History topic I thought about including the GENDER PERSPECTIVE and GENDER EQUALITY as part of the project considering the following definitions in order to avoid gender stereotypes and break the classical gender barriers: ·          Gender equality  implies to  correct gender discrimination  and value the rich differences                between genders. ·          Gender perspective  refers to the analysis of the  feminine presence  in cer...

WILBUR IS NOT ENGLISH

  Three years ago, I was teaching English as a foreign language to 7-year-old kids. For me, teaching this age is a great challenge as I find these young ones extremely demanding in a challenging way. Once I pass through the door, I know I need to have a set of activities prepared, all following a logical order and with multiple options just in case they don't find an activity enough motivating. However, there is a classic learning experience that always works no matter how old it is, Winnie the Witch's stories. Going back to when I was studying my teaching degree, we analysed some children’s books. One of them was “Winnie the Witch”. I actually sounded very familiar, so I assumed Winnie was one of this famous British characters such as Wallace & Gromit and I thought I had probably read it when I was a kid myself as a children’s classic. The day came when talking to my school language assistant I mentioned using some of Winnie’s books. My assistant was British, and she w...